Immigration Through Work to New Zealand

There’s a special pathway you should use to get a resident visa to New Zealand from work, which might not involve a Skilled Migrant visa application. This particular plan is known as Residence from Work.

It lets you ‘convert’ your work visa to residence within 24 months in case you hold a special visa designed for that.

Residence from Work is an efficient workaround for many who wouldn’t qualify under a Skilled Migrant Category or can not score sufficient points.

There are three major streams you can use:

  • Job offer from an accredited employer
  • Employment within the Long Term Skills scarcity list
  • Particular talent in Art or Sport

All of those visas are granted for 30 months. Once you have been on a Work to a Residence visa for over 2 years (and meet all other necessities as well), you’ll be able to lodge your residence application.

Read also:

Immigrating to New Zealand with partner and children

Immigration through study in New Zealand

New Zealand Types of visas

Job offer from an accredited employer

In case you have skills or experience and have been supplied full-time work by an accredited employer, then it’s possible you’ll be eligible for this visa.

This visa will help set you on the pathway to New Zealand residence by permitting you to work there.

Major features

  • maintain a full-time offer of employment for a period of not less than 24 months in New Zealand from an accredited employer
  • your supply has to meet the minimal base salary of NZ$79,560 (the minimal base salary excludes employment-related allowances, for instance, overtime, device or uniform allowances, medical insurance, accommodation, and many others)
  • you have to be aged 55 years or below
  • you have to meet the well being and character requirements for Residence
  • you have to meet different basic visa requirements

The main benefit of this visa is that your employer doesn’t have to prove that there are not any New Zealanders accessible for the job.

You additionally don’t want to meet strict qualification and experience requirements.

In case your employer loses accredited employer status after you’re granted a work visa, you’ll be able to:

  • work for one more accredited employer
  • apply for a variation of conditions, which if accredited would permit you to work for an employer who isn’t an accredited employer.
    For INZ to approve your variation of conditions, your new employer would wish to pay you not less than NZ$79,560 a year (before tax).

Read also:

Education and immigration to New Zealand for teachers

Training and immigration to New Zealand for designers

New Zealand Admission Requirements to Schools and Universities

Employment in the Long Term Skills scarcity list

This visa provides a pathway to New Zealand residence.

To apply, you’ll need to have the required work experience, {qualifications} and occupational registration to work in an occupation on a Long Term Ability Scarcity Record, and an offer for work in that occupation.

If you happen to continue working in that occupation in New Zealand for two years, you’ll be able to apply for residence.

To be granted a visa under the Long Term Ability Scarcity List Work Instructions applicants should:

  • maintain an offer of employment with a minimal base salary of NZ$45,000 each year in an occupation that’s included on the Long Term Ability Scarcity List (LTSSL) on the time that their application is made and that meets the specs for that occupation; and
  • be suitably qualified by training and/or experience to undertake the supply of employment (together with any particular requirements set out on the LTSSL); and
  • be aged 55 years or under; and
  • meet the health and character requirements for Residence; and
  • meet different basic immigration instructions


Education System of New Zealand

How to Immigrate to New Zealand

6 Top reasons to study in New Zealand

Please notice that your full-time (30+hours) supply of employment have to be for a period of not less than 24 months.

It must be accompanied by evidence of full or provisional registration, or eligibility for such registration, if full or provisional registration is required by law to take up the supply;

(ie in case you are a doctor) and compliant with all related employment law in force in New Zealand.


Leave a Comment