How to Apply for a Canadian Study Permit : Easy ways
Read also: Levels of Study Canada : Best Facts
Apply for a Study Permit
The study permit grants the legal authorization for an individual to study at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada.
When applying for a study permit, a foreign national must be aware that there are eligibility requirements which have to be met when submitting the study permit utility. As properly, there are particular situations which have to be met throughout the student’s time in Canada.
Read also: Extend a Study Permit Canada
There are numerous steps involved with making use of for a study permit and the processing times vary greatly from country-to-country, so it’s best to plan forward to ensure your permit will be processed before your study period begins.
The majority of Canadian post-secondary academic programs start study in September, January, or May, though a number of programs do offer intakes outside of those dates.
Since a foreign national can’t apply for a study permit without an acceptance letter, they should check the start date and application process for their schools and programs of interest far in advance to ensure they have sufficient time to obtain the acceptance letter and full the study permit application.
Read also: Visitor to Canada Health Insurance : Best Guide
Did you know?
Canadian schools often impose different application deadlines for international students than for students applying from within Canada. Make sure you’re aware of the correct deadline to your program!
Read also: Super Visa Insurance Canada
Study Permit Requirements
There are two units of requirements you must consider when applying for a Canadian study permit: eligibility requirements, and requirements while studying in Canada.
Read also: International money transfer to and from Canada
You need to meet these standards with the intention to be eligible to use for a study permit:
- Acceptance Letter: You must have an acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in order to apply for a Canadian study permit.
- Proof of Financial Support: You must provide documentation proving that you have sufficient funds to cover the cost of tuition to your first year of study as well as the cost of living (housing, meals, and many others.) for yourself and any accompanying family members to your first year of study. Please word that these funds might be beneath your name or the name of a member of the family or close friend.
Read also: Express Entry Canada: Simple immigration guide
- Supporting Documentation: In depth supporting documentation have to be submitted with all study permit functions. This documentation varies from country-to-country.
In an effort to decide the paperwork required for a specific location, you may seek the advice of the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website, or you may contact our firm and one among our Educational Counsellors will contact you with assistance.
When you apply to your permit, the visa officer will confirm to ensure you meet the requirements. If the visa officer is not glad, they will refuse your application.
Read also: Documents you need when you arrive in Canada
Requirements while studying in Canada
In case your examine allow is authorised and also you enter Canada as an worldwide scholar, you need to meet the necessities under with the intention to keep the validity of your examine allow. Whereas learning in Canada beneath a examine allow, a international nationwide should:
- all the time be enrolled at a Designated Learning Establishment (DLI)
- make progress towards finishing their program
- respect any conditions listed on their study permit
- cease learning if they not meet the requirements and
- depart Canada when their permit expires
Read also: Goods to Follow list Canada
There are 4 stages to obtaining a Canadian study permit:
- Check your eligibility Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements for a Canadian study permit. You require an acceptance letter from a DLI, proof of financial assist, as well as a range of documents which vary depending on your countries of citizenship and residence.
- Prepare your application For those who meet all eligibility necessities then you may prepare your study permit utility. Guarantee that you’ve gathered all documents required to your nation. Immigration officers reserve the suitable to refuse examine permits if they really feel an applicant has not met all necessities, so it’s beneficial to have a certified immigration consultant evaluation your utility prior to submission.
- Submit your study permit application You have two choices when submitting your utility: Submit an electronic application: Create an account on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) web site and you’ll submit an utility electronically utilizing scanned or electronic copies of documents. Submit a paper-based application: Compile your utility in hard copy and mail it to the Visa Application Centre (VAC) assigned to your country.
- In case your study permit is authorised, come to Canada! Please word that you do not obtain your Canadian study permit till you arrive at a Canadian Port of Entry (POE). If your permit is approved, the Canadian authorities will difficulty you a Port of Entry Introduction Letter. You must keep this letter and show it to the immigration official whenever you arrive in Canada in order to acquire your study permit.
Read also: Arriving in Canada as a new immigrant : Easy Guide
Please word that your study permit is not a visa. Which means, relying in your nation of citizenship, you may want a journey visa in order to come to the POE in Canada.
- Visa Exempt Countries: These nations don’t require a visa to enter Canada. You can come on to the Port of Entry to obtain your study permit. Please word that you may still require an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to journey to Canada.
- Non-Visa Exempt Countries: These countries require a visa to enter Canada. When your study permit utility is authorised, the visa officer ought to mail you a travel visa authorizing you to travel to Canada.
Read also: Utilities in Canada : Easy guide
*If you’re already in Canada legally, chances are you’ll apply from inside the country. In case your study permit is authorised it will likely be mailed to you.
Did you know?
The doc allowing international students to review in Canada is called a study permit rather than a study visa. The term ‘visa’ refers to a doc which allows you to enter Canada, while a ‘permit’ allows you to participate in sure actions while residing in Canada, like working or studying!
Read also: Choosing the right study program in Canada
Study Permit Exemptions
Not all foreign nationals require a permit in order to study in Canada. The following are the most common exemptions from the study permit requirement:
Read also: Moving to Canada with an arts degree
A foreign national does not require a study permit if they’re completing a program of examine which has a period of six months or much less. If the foreign national takes longer than six months to finish such a program, they have to safe a study permit earlier than the initial six months has handed.
Minor children in Canada
Minor kids, these beneath the age of 18 or 19 (the age for minor children varies by province), don’t want a study permit to attend kindergarten, pre-school, major or secondary faculty if they meet one of the following conditions:
Read also: Great Open Work Permit for Canada
- They (or their parents) are refugees or refugee claimants
- They are in Canada accompanying a parent who is authorized to work or study
Members of foreign armed forces
A member of a foreign armed pressure who’s in Canada on lively obligation doesn’t require a permit to study. Nevertheless, their family members might require examine permits. If you’re unsure whether or not you require a study permit for Canada, please full our free scholar evaluation and one among our Educational Counsellors will contact you to discuss your choices.
Read also: Important facts about Canadian Dual Citizenship
Studying in Quebec
These interested in pursuing an educational program in the province of Quebec should first acquire a Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ) before applying for a study permit.
Canada internet service providers: Easy guide
The Best Guide to Starting your career in Canada
Buying a car in Canada: a step-by-step guide
Teaching English in Canada for big gains
Great Construction jobs in Canada