If you have just lately graduated in Canada or are about to take action you might be doubtless already on a path towards thrilling life and employment alternatives. In case you are hoping to stay and start a career in Canada after you graduate, it’s essential to be absolutely ready. Read on to learn to kick-start your career.
Canada acknowledges that international graduates is usually a welcome addition to the nation’s workforce, and there are numerous choices in place that encourage you to remain after you graduate and begin a career in Canada, one of many world’s strongest and most various economies.
Even if you’re not planning to stay in Canada long-term or are not sure about the place you might find yourself, it’s price exploring your choices for getting invaluable work experience which might assist you to later in your profession in Canada or abroad.
Read also: Buying a car in Canada: a step-by-step guide
Throughout your studies
It could be straightforward to get wrapped up within the pleasure and problem of your lessons and pupil life, but it’s necessary to maintain fascinated about life after commencement even when you are still learning. Proactive students who take steps to enhance their career in Canada choices are sometimes the primary to get the job they need upon leaving college or faculty.
- Community: Networking is essential within the Canadian job market. Many graduates discover a job by way of individuals they know, and employers are sometimes prone to take into account hiring somebody primarily based on a suggestion from any individual they know and belief. Some jobs are by no means even marketed, as employers already know who they wish to rent by way of their community.
Extra on networking later.
Read also: Teaching English in Canada for big gains
- Use the career centre: Most universities and faculties in Canada have a career centre the place you will get advice on the Canadian job market, alternatives inside your specialization, and extra sources for beginning a career in Canada. These centres might have connections with employers who’re in search of graduates in your subject, or they can join you with a mentor or internship alternative.
When you’ve got any extra common questions on a career in Canada or the job market extra broadly, the career centre might have the solutions to your questions.
Read also: Great Construction jobs in Canada
- Discover a mentor: A mentor is somebody with expertise in your subject who can give you recommendation about attaining success within the profession in Canada that you’re most concerned with.
A mentor could also be an older pupil, a professor or lecturer, a household pal, somebody you meet at a convention or business occasion, a supervisor or different employees member, or anybody who’s keen to talk with you about how one can attain your profession in Canada objectives.
Don’t be afraid to succeed in out to individuals who have a powerful presence in your required business, even if you have never met in individual.
- Linkedin: Once you begin a career in Canada, it’s greater than acceptable, even inspired, to attain out by way of LinkedIn with a fast, well mannered message to ask some questions on working in a selected subject., The individual you might be contacting perhaps enthusiastic to share their expertise with a eager graduate (that’s you!) in search of a chance.
Read also: Finding Easy accommodation in Canada
- Go to occasions: College and faculty life might be about way more than your lessons. Canada’s universities and faculties are centres of analysis and growth as a lot as educating, and consequently they could usually host conferences, occasions, workshops, and lectures by prime professionals and lecturers from around the world.
Students are sometimes allowed to attend these occasions, and there are in all probability pupil reductions on ticket costs if the occasion is just not free. Main analysis universities in Canada resembling College of Toronto, McGill University, University of British Columbia and others have the affect and affect to host main visiting audio system and internationally-recognized conferences.
Read also: 4 Easy Student accommodation in Canada
Even if you are not a pupil at these universities, you might be able to attend anyway. Even higher, attempt to volunteer at a bigger occasion – you can stand a greater likelihood of assembly the those who matter (and also you’ll in all probability get a free lunch too, there’s such a factor).
The principle takeaway message right here is: put your self on the market. You by no means know the place or when you’ll meet the one who may be able to join you along with your subsequent large alternative.
Read also: Getting the best Nursing Jobs in Canada
As talked about already, networking is essential within the Canadian job market, notably in the event you’re seeking to begin a career in Canada. The important thing right here is to maintain your choices open, and keep in contact with the individuals you meet.
Observe up along with your lecturers and teaching assistants (TAs) after you’ve got completed their lessons and ship a follow-up e mail to anybody you meet at an occasion.
In the event you undertake an internship, work placement, or volunteer alternative as a part of your study program, be in contact with individuals out of your office – they will bear in mind the affect you made throughout your placement, and you can be first in line when a chance opens up.
If you’ll a bigger occasion or convention, take into account getting some enterprise playing cards made. Corporations like Moo assist you to make professional-looking enterprise playing cards with small minimal orders – if you’re nonetheless a pupil, select a easy text-based template and embrace your contact data and social community platforms solely
(it’s a good idea to make use of your non-university or non-college e mail deal with, in case somebody tries to contact you after you’ve got graduated when the deal with might now not be lively).
Providing a business card to a brand new acquaintance will make you appear skilled and prepared, and provides them the prospect to succeed in out to you later with out stress. Be happy to ask for business cards as nicely.
LinkedIn deserves a particular point out right here. The employment-oriented social community has develop into virtually indispensable as a networking instrument for students, staff, and employers alike.
Even if you’re not in search of a everlasting, full-time job when you are nonetheless learning, the connections you construct on LinkedIn when you are a pupil might assist you to afterward. You may also discover occasions close to you. It’s acceptable, and even inspired, so as to add lecturers to your community.
Get trying to find the dream career in Canada
After commencement comes the actual work – job looking. Step one is to ensure that you’ll be able to proceed working legally in Canada. In case your college or faculty is eligible, you can work for as much as three years after graduation with a Canadian Post-Graduation Work Permit.
There are a lot of locations to begin in search of jobs.
- Your college or faculty might have its personal job listings website for students and graduates, and it is a excellent place to begin because the employers who submit on such websites are explicitly in search of latest graduates out of your college or faculty.
- Web sites resembling Monster, Indeed, and Craigslist are all generally utilized by Canadian employers – although keep in mind that Craigslist is extra standard for part-time and temporary or lower-paid jobs.