Ever wanted to get a student insurance while studying in Canada? This post/guide is for you. Canada is widely known for its immigration policies, education and popular places for tourism. What it is seldom known for is the array of health services it provides.
While Canada provides the best free health services to permanent citizens, students get a wide range of healthcare equipment they can use in a country like Canada that for some, might be a new country away from home.
Owing to the many attractions it has, international students coming to Canada form 8 percent of the to-be secondary students population and have helped to create over 80,000 jobs recently.
If you are a student in a foreign country, it is important that you have health insurance for the duration of your course.
Even if your visa does not need you to have a health insurance plan, there is a high chance the institution you are enrolled would probably ask for it.
Before you accept your admission, most universities would request proof of your international health insurance.
Similar: College Culture in Canada
Whether or not public health services are offered to international students is at the discretion of each province. Provinces and territories that offer health coverage to international students are:
- British Columbia
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Northwest Territories
The reasons for getting a student insurance in Canada are the following:
- It is rare that the local government will sponsor the healthcare or student insurance of students/ international students. Hence, it’s good to have a student insurance as a safety net incase things go differently while you’re overseas.
- Having an insurance means having to pay not up to the actual amount of expenses incurred. The insurance will cover major expenses incase of injuries or damage to insured properties thus saving such expenses out of your own pocket.
- Discounts are another benefit of getting a student insurance. Insurance companies have a tie-up with various medical institutions as well as private doctors which will all result in discounts even for normal medical checkups that the student might avail yearly.
Let us take a look at the kinds of student insurance coverage available to college students in Canada:
- International student medical health insurance: As the title suggests, this type of insurance coverage is for college students pursuing academic courses overseas away from home. It offers the advantages of covering emergency medical evacuation, mental well being, and sports activities accidents.
- International journey medical insurance: The time period of validity for this insurance coverage is approx 2 years and it may also be used to supplement an already existent international insurance plan. This insurance coverage plan is of a a lot wider scope than consisting of only students as insurance holders. This type of insurance coverage plan offers:
- Worldwide coverage;
- Higher protection at affordable amounts;
- Travel related benefits such as misplaced luggage and documentation assistance;
- Journey help within the type of cash transfers and concierge services;
- Protection for family and dependents.
- International main medical insurance: This insurance plan is normally long term and can be availed by anyone residing outside their respective country for over a year. This insurance plan might be renewed annually and offers protection for people and their families.
This plan consists of features such as: a. High policy quantities; b. Flexible coverage options; c. Long-term coverage; d. Pre-existing conditions or accidents coverage; e. Childbirth protection.
How to apply for health student insurance in Canada?
While some provinces in Canada may provide assistance with student healthcare services, the students may need to look into the facilities of student health insurance in some provinces.
The student insurance services differ from province to province in Canada. If the student’s province provides student insurance services, the student is just required to fill out a form and pay whatever amount is mentioned on the website of the province for the same.
However, if the school that the student wants to go to does not have such facilities, the student might need to have a student insurance from a private firm in their own country before they move to Canada.
About Canadian Health Care
All Canadian residents and permanent residents have reasonable entry to medically mandatory hospital services while not having to pay out-of-pocket.
Whereas the common healthcare is mandated on the federal degree, healthcare applications are operated by the individual provinces and territories, so actual details of protection differ relying on the place a person resides.
The common Canadian well being care supplied to all Canadians only covers medically necessary companies, that is thought of primary well being care coverage.
These in Canada with out permanent resident or citizen standing ought to anticipate to pay out-of-pocket for medical companies except they’ve non-public medical health insurance.
The truth is, many immigration applications require temporary residents to safe non-public medical health insurance during their keep in Canada. Temporary residents have a variety of choices for this:
- They’ll buy private insurance coverage from an insurance coverage firm.
- If they’re working in Canada, they could obtain medical health insurance from their employer.
- If they’re finding out in Canada, they could register for insurance coverage by their college.
Within the occasion of an emergency, all provinces and territories will present free companies, even when a affected person doesn’t possess a authorities well being card. Nevertheless, there could also be vital restrictions on the companies that may be supplied relying on an individual’s immigration status.