German Family Reunion Visa : Join a Relative in Germany

Third-country nationals legally residing in Germany often wish to convey over their non-German members of the family who reside outside the European Union, whether to stay there briefly or permanently.

The Immigration Authorities in Germany, who assist the reunification of families, have established a particular visa for this purpose, which non-EU nationals can apply for to join their members of their family in Germany.

If a national of the European Union, the European Economic Area or the European Free Trade Association wished to join their members of the family, partner or relative in Germany, all they should do is to be able to financially keep themselves.

They’ll work with out the necessity to acquire a piece allow or a residence allow.

Alternatively, third-country nationals must acquire a Family Reunion visa, which is a long-stay visa that may later be extended to a residence permit.

Similar posts:

Germany Medical Treatment Visa : Easy Guide

Germany Guest Scientist/Visiting Scholar VISA

German Freelance or “Freiberufler” Visa

Eligible Applicants for a German Family Reunion Visa

In order for one to be able to acquire the National Family Reunion Visa, whether a marriage visa, fiance visa, partner visa or for different members of the family, she or he should be a relative of the resident in Germany, in addition to to fulfil another eligibility standards.

Whereas the main criterion for the German resident is that, she or he should be able to financially sponsor their third-world nation relative.

Following we’ve got listed the classes of members of the family that may apply to affix their family member in Germany:

Spouse (husband/wife), registered partner of a foreigner living in Germany

Third-country nationals who’re legally residing in Germany can bring over their partner or registered spouse in Germany in the event that they each fulfil some conditions.

To be able to acquire the spouse visa, the German resident should:

be in possession of either:

  • of a settlement permit which could be either:
    • an EU long-term resident permit,
    • a residence permit or
    • an EU Blue Card.
  • able to finance the opposite partner/spouse
  • should be over 18
  • should know German

Alternatively, the immigrating person who needs to enter Germany under a spouse visa should:

  • be over 18
  • have at the least some primary German knowledge

Remember that the Federal Republic of Germany doesn’t recognize polygamous marriages, due to this fact if the resident has already brought one accomplice in Germany, she or he is not going to be permitted to bring one other to join them.

Also read:

Germany Working or Employment Visa

Visas for studying in Germany

Germany Trade Fair Exhibitions Visa

Children of third-country nationals in Germany

A parent (or each parents) residing in Germany are permitted to apply to bring their kids to reside with them in Germany.

Nonetheless, the necessities of such a visa may change relying on the age of the children.

Minor Children

If each parents reside in Germany then they’ll apply to bring their child.

Alternatively, a single parent is permitted to bring their minor child to Germany if she or he has the sole right of care and custody of the child.

In case the parents share the right of care and custody of the kid and only one among them resides in Germany, then the third-country resident parent should grant to the German resident the right of custody in order for him or her to have the ability to apply for a German Family Reunification visa.

Adult Children

A mum or dad can apply to convey their adult child over, provided that ‘unavoidable hardship’ will probably be prevented as a result. The child should not be married so as to be eligible for a Family Reunion Visa.

Mother and father of legal residents in Germany

Parents of minor children legally residing in Germany can apply to join their child in the event that they possess the right of care and custody of the child.

Alternatively, third-country nationals residing in Germany can apply to convey their mother and father to dwell with them with a view to prevent some particular hardship.

Different family of a foreigner residing in Germany

Different members of the family also can apply to join their relative: when you have siblings in Germany, both brother or sister, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, grandparent, or cousins you may apply to join them.

Normally, these visas are harder to acquire and are normally issued mostly with the aim of preventing some kind of hardship.

Other posts:

Germany Trade Fair Exhibitions Visa

Germany Visa for the Recognition of Professional Qualifications

German Language Course Visa

Germany Household Reunion Visa Necessities

As a way to get the visa, you’ll have to submit some documents to the German embassy or consulate that’s the closest to your home.

The required paperwork for a German family reunification visa are as follows:

  • Applicant’s passport – valid for at the least three more months past the period of stay applied for, and no older than 10 years
  • Two application types – duly completed with honest and proper information
  • Two completed and signed notification/explanation types
  • Two latest biometric photos – based on the standards set by the ICAO
  • Travel booking – which is a booked ticket from your own home country to Germany
  • Travel Health Insurance for Germany – which covers applicant’s keep in the whole territory of Germany
  • Proof of economic means- that normally must be submitted by the individual residing in Germany, showing she or he can financially assist the immigrating member of the family.
    Nonetheless, if the third-country resident has enough funds to support himself/herself then he or she can submit documents, which present that.
  • Invitation letter – from the member of the family who’s residing in Germany, confirming they’ve room for the individual wishing to affix them
  • Proof of accommodation – that exhibits the resident in Germany has enough space at their house in Germany for the applicant
  • Proof of German language skills at the least stage A1 of the applicant
  • Partner / registered partner:
    • a registration or marriage certificates attested by a overseas officer, translated into German and legalized by the German embassy
    • if the partner is of German nationality, then a duplicate of the German partner’s passport and id card should be submitted
    • if the partner is a non-German residing in Germany, proof of authorized residence and their passport should be submitted
  • Children:
    • birth certificates
    • proof of child’s nationality
  • proof of the right of care of the mother or father residing in Germany


Similar posts:

Germany Airport Transit Visa

Germany Training/Internship Visa : Easy Guide

Tourist Schengen Visa – Traveling to Europe for Tourism


Other posts:

Leave a Comment