Parliamentary Affairs Advisor
The Senate has a special influence on how our nation’s democracy is shaped. Senators serve in the upper body of parliament, where they research public policy, advocate for causes, and engage in interparliamentary diplomacy.
The Senate is made up of vibrant individuals that represent the many skills, opinions, and backgrounds of our country. We are dedicated to creating and upholding a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone has an equal opportunity to get employment and succeed professionally. Join a team of devoted professionals who are committed to excellence in support of senators and the institution to enhance your career.
How will you contribute?
The Parliamentary Affairs Advisor will be accountable for performing in-depth research, strategic analysis, and reporting on topics within the Senator’s areas of interest while collaborating closely with the Senator.
We are looking for people with a solid understanding of the legislative process, the work of Senate Committees, and exceptional writing abilities. The winning applicant will have broad knowledge of several policy areas and be able to advise the senator on how to pursue his priorities through the legislative process.
To keep the Senator informed of current affairs, the incumbent will draft comments and speeches as well as briefing materials and reports. Additionally, the function may entail representing the senator at meetings and communicating with lawmakers and top government officials.
- Public to fill full-time, part-time, and/or indefinitely-term posts in senators’ offices.
- Please take note that an employment contract described as “indeterminate” has no set termination date.
- Minority and underrepresented candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
- Political science, law, commerce, or any other discipline relating to the responsibilities of the position requires a bachelor’s degree from a reputable university; alternatively, an acceptable mix of education, training, and experience
- a wealth of recent experience in conducting extensive research, analyzing, and evaluating a wide range of material, and formulating recommendations
- extensive and recent experience in drafting speeches, reports, statements, and briefing notes
- experience in offering high authorities strategic counsel on a range of politically delicate situations;
- knowledge of building and keeping connections with high officials and/or lawmakers
- extensive knowledge of the MS-Office program suite;
- the ability to successfully communicate both orally and in writing; knowledge of communication tactics, methods, and practices;
- Strategic and methodical thinker with the capacity to coordinate and multitask in order to complete a variety of tasks under pressure;
- It is a plus if you can work in both of the official languages, English and French;
- Knowledge of strategic communications, including media and social media, is regarded as advantageous, as is knowledge of parliamentary procedure.