What is a Schengen visa?
A Schengen visa is a short-stay European visa, that allows it’s holder to travel throughout the Schengen countries or areas. This kind of visa is given or issued by a Schengen country or area. The duration of one’s visit to any of the Schengen countries is 90 days. If you’re not a citizen of the Schengen area and you’re to visit a Schengen country or area, you’ll need a Schengen visa in order to enter those countries.
THE COUNTRIES YOU CAN VISIT WITH A SCHENGEN VISA.
There are about twenty six(26) Schengen countries or areas which are:
THE TYPES OF SCHENGEN VISAS.
Limited territorial validity visas (LTV)
This type of visa allows you to travel only to the Schengen country that issued the Schengen visa. For example, if the visa was issued by Germany, you’re allowed to travel only to Germany or if the visa was issued by France, you’re allowed to travel to France only. So you cannot travel to other countries with an LTV visa unless, you’re travelling to a Schengen country that issued the visa.
UNIFORM SCHENGEN VISAS
This type of visa, allows you to travel to different Schengen countries. It doesn’t matter if it’s the country that issued the visa, you can still travel to the Schengen country of your choice. There are three 3 types of uniform Schengen visas:
1) Double entry visa: This allows you to enter a Schengen country twice within the time of your visa validity. Once this visa is used twice, it cannot be used again because it’s no longer valid.
2) Single entry visa: This visa allows you to visit a Schengen country once. After it’s used once, it’s no longer valid.
3) Multiple entry visa: This visa can be used multiple times. It allows you to travel to a Schengen country or area for as many times.
REASONS FOR GETTING A SCHENGEN VISA.
1) For business visits.
2) Medical visits.
3) Official visits.
4) Short-term study courses.
5) Site seeing
6) Visitation of family members and friends.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A SCHENGEN VISA?
In order to apply for a Schengen visa, you’ll have to meet up with the following requirements:
1) Payment of visa fees.
2) Filling the Schengen visa application form.
3) Providing the required documents.
4) Providing your biometrics.
5) Lastly, you have to show up at the appointment.
1) Payment of fees: This is an important step. The cost of a Schengen visa for adult is 80€, while the cost of the visa for children is 45€.
After payment has been made, a receipt will be given. It’s best if you keep it properly.
2) Filling the Schengen visa application form: This form can be filled online. This form will ask you to input basic information such as; date of birth, purpose of traveling, name, country of origin, passport etc.
3) Providing the required documents: The documents that’s required is really important for your visa application. So, it’s important to provide such documents.
4) Providing your biometrics: Your biometrics or your fingerprints will be taken there at the embassy.
5) Showing up at the appointment: It’s important you show up at the appointment at the right time. In some cases, even if you’re a couple of minutes late, your appointment can be cancelled.
READ ALSO: HOW TO APPLY FOR A FRENCH VISA?
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU OVERSTAY?
The maximum number of days that you can stay is 90 days. If that’s exceeded, you won’t be issued a Schengen visa again. Also, you’ll be deported and you will also pay fine.