What is a Social Security Number?
There are 3 differing kinds of Social Security cards
1. The foremost common type of Social Security card has the person’s name and Social Security number. this kind is usually given to U.S. voters and legal permanent residents.
2. The second is selected for temporary workers or those with non-immigrant status. they’re valid for employment “with DHS authorization” and may be used to satisfy I-9 eligibility necessities.
3. The last sort is issued just for tax functions and can’t be used with the I-9 type or for employment.
Note: an I-9 form is a government form used to verify an employee’s eligibility to have a job in the U.S..
Eligibility for a Social Security Number
How to Get a Social Security Number (SSN)
There are two ways in which you can get a social security number and card:
Information Needed to Get a Social Security Card
- Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5)
- Two original documents proving your identity, immigration status, work eligibility, and age