How to Get Social Security Number for Foreign Workers in the U.S.

If you’re not an American citizen and have an interest in working in the U.S., you’ll need a social security number to be employed in the U.S. Here’s info on eligibility for a Social Security number and how to induce a Social Security card for foreign workers.

What is a Social Security Number?

A Social Security number is a nine-digit identification number given to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and non-immigrant working residents. Social Security numbers are required to work in the U.S., to gather Social Security benefits, and to be eligible for alternative social services.

There are 3 differing kinds of Social Security cards

1. The foremost common type of Social Security card has the person’s name and Social Security number. this kind is usually given to U.S. voters and legal permanent residents.

2. The second is selected for temporary workers or those with non-immigrant status. they’re valid for employment “with DHS authorization” and may be used to satisfy I-9 eligibility necessities.

3. The last sort is issued just for tax functions and can’t be used with the I-9 type or for employment.

Note: an I-9 form is a government form used to verify an employee’s eligibility to have a job in the U.S..

Eligibility for a Social Security Number

Temporary workers and people in non-immigrant visa status who are licensed to work in the U.S. by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can get a Social Security number (SSN).
Social Security numbers are used to report wages to the govt. and to see a person’s eligibility for Social Security advantages. A social security number is required to work and to gather social security advantages.
Only non-citizens licensed to work within the U.S. are eligible for a social security number.
Important: Those with a non-employment based temporary visa without authorization to work in the U.S. are not allowable to apply for a social security number.

How to Get a Social Security Number (SSN)

There are two ways in which you can get a social security number and card:
1. If you’re age eighteen or older, you can apply for a social security number in your home country after you apply for a migrator visa with the U.S. Department of State. The U.S. government will use an equivalent data that you offer to apply for a migrator visa to apply for an SSN.
Your social security card will arrive at your mailing address about 3 weeks after you arrive in the U.S. If you apply for the social security number outside of the U.S., you do not have to visit an American social security workplace after entry into the U.S..
2. If you’re not a migrator or failed to apply for a social security number after you applied for an immigrant visa, you ought to bring your petition and approval notices showing your legal immigration status and approved authorization to work in the U.S.. Then you ought to apply for a Social Security number and card by visiting a social security workplace within the U.S.
The Social Security Administration recommends that you simply wait 10 days after arriving in the country to “make it easier for us to verify your Department of Homeland Security documents online, which is able to speed processing of your social security number application.” Applying for a social security number is free.

Information Needed to Get a Social Security Card

  • Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5)
  • Two original documents proving your identity, immigration status, work eligibility, and age
As far as documentation, as an example, a work permit is used as proof of both your identity and work-authorized immigration status. some other acceptable documents to prove your work authorization can include your migrator visa, an employment-based admission stamp, the I-94 Arrival/Departure Record, and any work permits or Employment Authorization Documents (EAD).
Important: Your birth certificate or passport might serve as proof of age. However, you need two separate documents to prove eligibility for a social security number.

Additional Document needed for International Students and foreign exchange guests

International Students or foreign exchange guests (J-1, J-2, F/M-1) are able to work on a part-time basis and must bring further documentation to prove their status. For J Visas, the DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange visitor status is needed.
For international students, the foremost recent I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student status is needed.
Important: Original documents are needed to get a social security card. Photocopies and notarized copies will be rejected.

Leave a Comment