Types Of U.S. Work Visas And Requirements : Easy Guide
U.S. Work Visas Necessities
U.S. Green Cards
It is possible to become a permanent resident (Green Card holder) of the U.S. through a job or supply of employment. There’s conjointly a lottery program that has a restricted number of green cards to sure-fire candidates.
However, some classes need a certification from the U.S. Department of Labor to indicate that there aren’t enough U.S. employees who are in a position, willing, qualified, and obtainable within the geographical region wherever the migrant is to be used and that no American employees are displaced by foreign employees.
U.S. immigration law provides foreign nationals with a spread of the way to get a green card through employment within the U.S.. These employment-based (EB) “preference immigrant” classes include:
- (EB-1) – Initial preference for priority employees, as well as “foreign nationals with extraordinary ability within the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics; outstanding professors and researchers; or sure transnational managers and executives.”
- (EB2) – Second preference for “foreign nationals who are members of the professions holding advanced degrees or who have exceptional ability (including requests for national interest waivers).
- (EB3) – Third preference for foreign nationals who are “skilled employees, professionals, or different employees.”
- (EB4)- Fourth preference for special immigrants like spiritual employees, neglected/abused juveniles, and retired officers or workers of sure international organizations, or NATO, and sure relations.
- (EB5) Fifth preference for migrant investors, “foreign nationals who have endowed or are actively within the method of investment [sums of at least] $1 million (or $500,000 in targeted employment areas) in a very new industrial enterprise that may profit the U.S. economy and make a minimum of ten full-time positions for qualifying workers.”
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has additional info on how to apply for a green card.
Green Card Lottery Programs
The annual green card lottery program (Diversity migrant Visa Program) is a chance for potential immigrants to get the standing as a permanent legal resident of the U.S.
This program runs annually and provides green cards to candidates at random selected in a very lottery process—known because the Green Card Lottery. Candidates should apply so much before of the particular date after they would love to enter the country.
Exchange Visitant Visas
U.S. Exchange visitant (J) non-immigrant visas are obtainable to people approved to participate in work and study-based exchange visitant programs.
These visas enable guests to expertise life within the U.S., before returning to their home countries with an appreciation for the American culture and modus vivendi.
As per the State Department, eligible classes of visitant for this visa kind embrace au pairs, camp counselors, school students, interns, physicians, professors, scholars, teachers, and trainees.
Temporary U.S. Work Visas (Non-Agricultural)
U.S. Temporary Non-Agricultural (H-2B) visas are obtainable to foreign employees in non-agricultural fields to work within the U.S., provided there’s an short range of domestic laborers to fill the position.
H-2B visas are typically used for jobs that are temporary, though not agricultural—for example, jobs at ski mountains, hotels, beach resorts, or amusement parks.
Learn additional concerning current necessities and restrictions at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Temporary U.S. Work Visas (Skilled Workers)
U.S. H1-B non-immigrant visas are for hot, educated people used in specialised occupations. The H1-B visa permits foreign employees to figure briefly for a particular leader within the U.S..
To apply, you need to have an employee-employer relationship, add a particular in-demand specialty occupation, and be paid on top of the prevailing wage for that job.
Seasonal Agricultural Employee Visas
U.S. seasonal Agricultural employee (H2-A) visas are obtainable to foreign agricultural employees to work in the U.S. on a seasonal or temporary basis, provided there’s a shortage of domestic employees.
Visas are restricted to a few years and immigrants should originate from a rustic on the chosen countries list.
To learn additional concerning the program method and necessities, see the USCIS web site.
Eligibility to figure within the U.S.
When you have secured the acceptable visa, you’ll have to be compelled to get a permit to work, which is formally referred to as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), so as to prove you’re eligible to work in the U.S..
The document provides proof to employers that you just are wrongfully permitted to work within the U.S.
You can review info on Employment Authorization Documents and the way to accumulate, renew, or replace them.
Need additional help? USA.gov has info on work necessities, visas, and obtaining employed for jobs within the U.S..